BME - Student Life


We have prepared easy-to-use checklists to help you prepare everything and get ready to go!

Visa Information

The main factors wich determine wether you need visa to Hungary or not are our nationality, the expected duration of your stay.

Hungary is a member state of the European Union, so citizens of the EU and EEA (European Economic Area) countries do not required a visa from them. The only documentation they require is either their passport or identity card.

Citizens of non-EU and non-EEA citizens must apply for a resident visa for study purposes at the nearest Hungarian Embassy or Consulate.

What to do:

1. For citizens of the following countries:

a. Students from countries of EU and EEA (European Economic Area) must report their address and apply for the registration certificate in Hungary after getting registered at school.

b. Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Guatemala, Honduras, Iceland, Israel, Japan, Liechtenstein, Malaysia, Mexico, Monaco, New Zeeland, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Republic of Korea, Salvador, San Marino, Singapore, Switzerland, Uruguay, USA, Venezuela Students of the above countries must apply for the residence permit within 30 days after arrival.

For detailed information, please, contact your embassy or consulate or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade from these countries must obtain the residence permit within 30 days after arrival.

2. For students coming in with a VISA

Resident visa for study purposes is to be obtained before departure from your country. Among others, you must present the Letter of Acceptance from BME, the proof of payment of the tuition fee, proof of your accommodation in Budapest and a passport valid at least until 30 days. The process takes two weeks or more. The visa will be valid for 30 days only, and after your arrival in Budapest you will have another 30 days to apply for a residence permit (after registration at the university). For more information please click here.

To obtain the visa may take as long as months. Get prepared for it!




Arriving at BME

You can approach the uni by the ways below:

- You can come to Budapest in various ways

- With local public transport you have wide range of chances to come to us:

By tube: M4, Szent Gellért tér station

By bus: 7, 107, 109, Szent Gellért tér station

By tram: 18, 19, 41, 47, 49, Szent Gellért tér station

More information is at the Centre for Budapest Transport’s homepage.

- By car: At the Műegyetem wharf parking is free. About the other parking zones and charges you can learn more here.





Temporary Accommodation

There has to be a place you call your home. Even if it is a temporary one, and happens to be in Budapest.

You can start the search for a flat to rent in Budapest far before you have arrived here, but it is more reasonable when you can see the place, ask your questions, and bargain the price with the assistance of a local person.

The first assistance you get from BME is in your Letter of Acceptance offering a hotel (Sas Club Hotel***, Törökbálinti út 51-53., 1121 Budapest) They have been accommodated hundreds of our newcomers from all parts of the world. If you decide to take this option, follow the instructions in your letter. Then, during and after the first few weeks in Budapest, you can make permanent arragements for a local rent.

Permanent Accommodation

During the orientation week, the last week of August, there is a group of Hungarian students here assisting foreigners with finding accommodation. You have to make your own arrangements though, they are not an agency.

There is a website of BME Student Government that also lists flats to rent:


Exchange students

Each student is obliged to register for each study period/semester at BME in the Students’ Office, Bluiding. R, room 104, The procedure requires your Letter of Acceptance, passport, two photos, and 1000 HUF for a temporary student ID.

To get registered at school all exchangees have to possess health insurance covering the whole duration of their studies at BME. This may be a package of your own in your home country. However, if you cannot show proof of it, you are obliged to purchase the university’s insurance package upon registration (29 500 HUF/6 months).

Living Costs

Accommodation: Private accommodation is available from EUR 300 to 500 per month depending on location and comfort. During the registration week BME offers help to new students find accommodation in the city.

Food and additional expenses are approximately from EUR 170 to 270 per month. More information is available upon arrival.

Health insurance, entitling students for medical care, costs about EUR 120 / semester. Insurance is the condition of both the enrolment at the university and the residence permit. For EU citizens, a valid European Health Insurance Card is necessary.




Good to know before you come


Weather in Budapest is so various. There are big differences in spring and summer temperatures, and spring and autumn are rainy. Therefore you should have warm and ethereal and also waterproof clothes. There is Central Europe's largest lake (Lake Balaton) and there are more than 1,000 natural springs and baths in the country, so swim dresses are also recommended.


Although Hungary is part of the European Union, it does not use the Euro as its currency. The Hungarian currency is the Forint (Ft, HUF), which has the following denominations: notes: 500Ft, 1,000Ft, 2,000Ft, 5,000Ft, 10,000Ft and 20,000Ft; coins: 5Ft, 10Ft, 20Ft, 50Ft and 100Ft. The most popular Hungary Forint exchange rate is the HUF to EUR rate. Prices, such as hotel rates, sightseeing tours, etc. are often quoted in Euros. Many businesses, even including some select supermarkets accept Euros. Don't forget to check their exchange rates, as you might be better off exchanging your currency first and paying in Forints. Currency exchange is also available at exchange boxes or at banks at a surcharge.

ID Card

Services of Hungary stated that there are two types of identity cards: the personal identity card (permanent) and the temporary identity card. The personal identity card (Személyazonosító Igazolvány) is the same as the national identity card (ibid.). For more information please go to Central Office for Administrative and Electronic Public Services of Hungary’s website.

Mobile phone/Internet

Foreign talks are very expensive, so we suggest to buy a Hungarian SIM card and net mobile for the duration of your studies in our country. All three major mobile companies (Telenor, Telekom, Vodafone) that are present in Hungary have a shop around the university, at the Allee Shopping Centre (XI. District, Október Huszonharmadika utca 8-10.).


Hungarian cuisine uses spices. One of them, paprika is present in every kitchen. The powdered pepper (which is hot as the chili) is well-used to spice up just about every dish. Hungary has a wide range of wine countries. There grow also a lot of fruit. So that wine and pálinka are so popular here.

No drugs!

In Hungary, none of the drugs are legal, moreover, the purchase, consumption, and possession of illegal drugs are all criminal offences. Even if the use of a particular drug is not a criminal offence in your country, you are still obliged to comply with Hungarian law, and will be held accountable to the same standards as a local person. You can learn more from the European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction (EMCDDA).


Before travelling to Hungary, you should bear in mind that mains sockets may be different from those in your home country. This problem can be easily solved with a universal adapter. The voltage is 220V AC, 50 Hz, sockets are twoforked.